Grades of Olive Oil
- Extra-virgin is the unrefined oil derived from the first pressing of the olives and has the most delicate flavor
- Virgin is also derived from the first pressing of the olives but has a higher acidity level than extra virgin olive oil (as well as less phytonutrients and a less delicate taste)
- Pure oil is a bit of a misnomer. Don’t be fooled if you see the term “pure” on the label, it means the oil is a blend of refined and virgin olive oils.
- EVOO’s are best when used within four months of purchase, and most health benefits are lost in product that has reached 12 months of age
- Olive oil should be stored in a cool, dark place